Symbol Communication Sign
Pictures and symbols are an effective way for non-verbal, speech-challenged, and early-learning individuals to communicate with friends and caregivers. Placing a Symbol Communication Sign at the entrance to a play area ensures that everyone can express themselves!
Developed with guidance from experts in Augmentative and Alternative Communication (AAC) and Inclusive Design, Karen B. Haines and Ingrid M. Kanics, Landscape Structures’ Symbol Communication Sign includes pictures representing nouns/pronouns, verbs, feelings, activities, and playground events as well as letters and numbers. While many different symbol sets are used across the AAC industry, the symbols created by LSI designers are universally understandable and easy to use. The graphics are simple and two-dimensional, which is helpful to those with visual processing challenges. They are arranged left-to-right as one would build a sentence with industry-standard colors representing different types of words. Additionally, symbols are placed on a black background to be easier to read for those with visual impairments. And because it’s manufactured using proprietary DigiFuse® technology, the graphics will look great over the life of the play area.
- Assist and augment communication at the entrance to a play space
- Helpful for non-verbal children, early learners, and those who speak different languages
- DigiFuse provides vivid, full-color graphics with long-lasting durability on an aluminum panel for the optimal combination of beauty and strength
- Panel is constructed from 1/4″ aluminum
- Choose any ProShield® color for posts
- Available in direct bury and surface mount
- Sensory: Auditory, Tactile, Visual
- Motor Skills: Eye-hand Coordination
- Cognitive Skills: Problem Solving
- Social/Emotional Skills: Cooperation, Imaginative Play, Social Skill Development
Add a Symbol Communication Sign to your playspace for more inclusive fun!